‘People have been playing, “kitchen beautician” since the Middle Ages, when various foods were used as beauty aids. Curdled milk was applied to acne, cucumber juice removed freckles, while boiled nettles produced a smooth, even complexion’ (Cosmopolitan)
This blog will look to provide ‘how to’ guides, tips and product recommendations for beauty and hair – along with the occasional foodie update (because who doesn’t love a good food and wine post)! I’ll also look to provide some makeup ideas…although they may not be as extreme as the Romans, who stayed beautiful by using wine as a cheek stain, or the Ancient Egyptians who took baths in milk and honey, but hopefully you will enjoy them and let me know the results 😀
Although I started this blog as a complete novice, my love for make up took me to study an SVQ Level 2 in Applying Makeup at Aberdeen College. After passing with Distinction (woo! 🎉) in January 2016, I’ve been building my portfolio by practicing on friends – and more recently, working on various photoshoots.
As I build up my skills and experiment with different styles, I hope you will let me know if you like what you see. Having spent many an hour, day, week(!) surfing the internet to find ideas for the perfect hairstyle for a blacktie event, or how to do my eye make up to go with a new dress, I know how useful the odd tip here or there can be. Hopefully you find this blog helpful – but even if you just enjoy the read/pictures, that’s enough for me!
As an add on to the above, I thought that I would include the following to give you a bit of an insight into ME! as a person too. After being nominated by the beautiful Beauty + Jess for the Leibster Award (a fun way to recognise new/up and coming bloggers, helping increase visibility/promote their blog), I wanted to add this to my ABOUT section and also highlight some other excellent blog posts that you should check out.
I think that there are different variations of what this Award asks of you, but I’ll follow what I’ve been tagged with – so first up, I’m to post 11 facts about myself…
- My all time favourite snack is Popcorn…
- …Salted Popcorn to be precise
- I love the Theatre – especially Musicals
- Travelling is one of my favourite things
- And Santorini is a place I would love to visit
- My Chihuahua (Jericho) RULES
- Sushi Saturday is my thing 🙂
- G&T time is the best time!
- Make up is my friend
- Skincare is my obsession
- Being a Makeup artist is the dream
Next, I’m to answer 11 Questions set by the person who nominated me..
- Why did you decide to start blogging? To allow me to bring something that I’ve always loved and turn it in to a hobby. I love taking photos of makeup looks, or simple hairstyles I’ve done and translating them in to a blog post. I also find it very therapeutic and a good stress reliever.
- If you could get one, JUST ONE, product for free right at this moment, what would it be? Would LOVE a Tom Ford Lipstick. Justifying £40 on a Lipstick is difficult…but if you have one going spare – please forward it my way!!
- What is your first memory of makeup? Wearing some ‘amazing'(well it was at the time!) pink sparkly eyeshadow to school.
- What are your hopes for yourself in the next 5 years? It would be brilliant to take my love of Makeup to the next level and become a freelance makeup artist.
- What is your favourite ice cream flavour? Salted Caramel – YUM!
- What is your ‘go-to’ makeup look? A subtle eye and bold lip is a quick and easy way to glam up. Easy to go from Day to Night too! 🙂
- Contour or highlight? Contour all the way!
- What is your all time favourite movie? A Knight’s Tale
- If you could have your own makeup brand, what would it be called? Beautisteel – I’m keeping the brand 🙂
- What did you want to be when you were a kid? A Veterinary Nurse (Randomly)
- What is the number 1 thing on your bucket list? To see the Northern Lights
Now my Nominees are…(sorry if you have already done this)
And my questions are…
- Where are you from?
- Why did you start your blog?
- If you could go any place in the world, where would it be?
- What are your top 3 must have items when travelling?
- If money was no factor, what would your dream job be?
- Who inspires you?
- Home cooked meal or eating out?
- What is your favourite book?
- What is the strangest food that you have eaten?
- What is one useful tip that you can pass on?
- Where do you get the ideas for your blog